Sunday, July 17, 2011

1 Nephi 1 (Dana)

The most read chapter in the entire Book of Mormon. We should all have it memorized by now. =)

Nephi speaks of his father's (Lehi) dreams/visions. Just like all prophets, he is ridiculed & mocked. The Gospel is not "popular" & we cannot expect to be embraced by the world. The world is becoming more cruel and we need to be strong in our beliefs. These are the last days.

Question:
In verse 17 Nephi refers to the writings of Lehi & that they are on separate plates - is this the 116 pages that were lost when Joseph Smith was translating?

Verse 20 - "...tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

Elder Bednar certainly made this verse unforgettable in his 2005 Conference talk. "The Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness and obedience enable us to receive these important gifts and, frequently, the Lord’s timing helps us to recognize them. We should not underestimate or overlook the power of the Lord’s tender mercies. The simpleness, the sweetness, and the constancy of the tender mercies of the Lord will do much to fortify and protect us in the troubled times in which we do now and will yet live."

I think that the word "tender" is an important word.
Here are a few definitions for the word "tender": (www.dictionary.com)
1. soft or delicate in substance; not hard or tough
2.weak or delicate in constitution; not strong or hardy.
3. young or immature: children of tender age.
4. delicate or soft in quality: tender blue.
5. delicate, soft, or gentle: the tender touch of her hand.
6. easily moved to sympathy or compassion; kind: a tender heart.
7. affectionate or loving; sentimental or amatory: a tender glance.
8. considerate or careful; chary or reluctant

The Lord has tender mercies for me every day - I often do not acknowledge them like I should.
Sacrament meeting is a challenge for me listen to the speakers & learn because of my cute little distractions. I usually dread going to sacrament & I count the minutes until nursery time. I don't open my scriptures for fear of a page being torn out. I can't close my eyes during prayer or else I might lose sight of a boy, etc, etc... Today I sat next to a family & the teenage boy was so sweet. He helped my boys stay quiet, picked up their dropped toys, and drew pictures for them. That small act of kindness gave me the opportunity to listen to the speaker, to feel the Spirit & to learn. I enjoyed sacrament meeting today. A tender mercy.



No comments:

Post a Comment